Monday, January 3, 2011

More more more (How do you like it, how do you like it)

It's been a while back now, but over Thanksgiving, I started noticing Jude doing something interesting while he was eating.  In between bites, he kind of slapped his wrists together.  I almost didn't recognize it for what it was, but Jude was signing "more."  It was really amazing, because both Lindsay and I had been making the sign for more since Jude started eating solid foods.  In other words, months.  And finally, in an "Ah ha" moment for Jude, there he was... signing! 

Since then, Jude has decided that more is a universal communication tool.  Want more food?  More.  Want to keep playing?  More.  Want to get out of the carseat?  More.  Want someone to pay attention to you?  More. Want to take a bath?  More.  Of course, we've been challenged to try to guess what Jude wants and we certainly don't always get it right.  We've also been trying several other signs with him.... all done, drink, eat, milk, bath.... but unlike more, Jude hasn't figured out that there are different signs for different actions/needs.  The look on his face says it all, "Look, assholes.  I know that you do something whenever I slap my hands together.  Figure it out."

Supposedly most babies who are taught to sign will hit a "sign explosion" sometime around 14 months.  They'll start to realize that there are different signs for different things and suddenly want to know everything.  So maybe that time will be coming soon in which case, I'll need to brush up on my signing quickly

I love this video... Jude is just in a super good mood... cracking up about everything Mommy says and if you watch, you'll see him doing more.  More funny, please Mommy!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Jackson's favorite sign is more too! He uses is ALL the time for EVERYTHING. I'm hoping he cathches on to the other ones too because like you it's getting hard to guess what he's asking for. It's so cute though!!

Jocelyn Arild said...

I love all these videos! Keep 'em coming! He is getting so big and cuter by the second - as if that were even possible!