Friday, June 25, 2010

Blame it on the Rain

I found myself at home alone with Jude this evening when a round of severe weather came through. I tried to stay cool as I played with Jude in his bouncer but kept one eye on the TV. At one point, the satellite went out and I could no longer track the storm on TV. Soon there was hail (not big, maybe the size of pencil erasers), but the rain..... wow. Buckets, sheets, cats and dogs... none of that even comes close to describing what it looked like outside our windows.


The last time I'd seen rain like that, it WAS followed by straightline winds and a brief tornado touchdown. I didn't waste any time. I grabbed a diaper bag, Jude's bottle, the computer, the dog, and a flashlight, and headed down to our laundry room (and Bastille joined me shortly). I strapped Jude into the baby carrier and fed him his bottle. I could just barely see out the front door window and there was literally a LAKE in our street out front! Suddenly, I knew that a flash flood wasn't just a part of the studio tour at Universal Studios! We all hung tight and in a few minutes, the worst of the storm passed. Jude worked on his bottle as he hung out in the carrier, just about oblivious to all the action. Maybe he'll grow up to be a storm chaser????

0 comments: