Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mommy rejects "Abby's Flying Fairy School"

I never considered myself a purist, really, about anything.  I like to try new things -- I think that my friends would say that I am "adventurous" (not in the outdoorsy way, of course.  Don't be ridiculous.).  But when it comes to Sesame Street, I demand the original.

About a month ago, we started recording Sesame Street so that we had some saved up in our DVR for those "can't Mommy just have some coffee" moments.  We also have a fantasy that watching TV will turn Jude into a cuddler extraordinaire.  So far, it hasn't worked for either of these reasons.  We still can't drink hot coffee, and he still won't cuddle with us.  What is has succeeded in doing, however, is helping me realize that the only Sesame Street worth watching is the Sesame Street of my youth.  These new-fangled Sesame Streets that kids are watching these days just aren't worth it!  Sure, they have Gordon and Maria and Luis.  Sure, some of the classic characters are there.  But there are issues.

Lindsay's Gripes About Today's Sesame Street


1.  The theme song is all wrong.  Okay, it's the same theme song, but the last 4 notes of the chorus are wrong.  Children of the 80s, sing it in your head and then listen to the current theme song.  Something's a little off, right!?
2.  There is way too much Elmo.  This isn't Elmo's street!  Why does he get his own world, for crying out loud?  And I can't stand Mr. Noodle.  As if the fish isn't enough, then we have to watch Mr. Noodle and his brother Mr. Noodle.
3.  Claymation does not belong in Sesame Street.  They are Muppets, for crying out loud.  Take your claymation Ernie and Bert and shove 'em.  I want the puppets where sometimes you can see the wires that control their arms but you don't care.
4.  Along the same lines, fancy animation also doesn't belong on the Street.  Abby, your flying fairy school song may be catchy, and I can support the messages that you are putting out there, but again, are you too good for puppets?  Go back to your roots, Sesame Street!
5.  There is not enough Grover.  The only time we get to see Grover, he is "Super" Grover.  Well, Children's Television Workshop, some of us think that Grover is Super enough on his own.

So to avoid these gripes (and so that Liz can escape my moaning about the good old days every Saturday morning when she is trying to drink some hot coffee and cuddle with Jude), we bought the 2 DVD Set "Sesame Street: 40 years of Sunny Days."  DVR days be done...we will only be watching the throw-back Sesame Streets from now on!

I know, Jude will be that kid who asks the other kids in kindergarten if they saw the episode where Mr. Hooper goes surfing and they won't even know who Mr. Hooper is.  But he will be well-versed in such classics as:

We couldn't believe how many of the different skits we could remember...and we are so excited to share them with Jude.  Maybe when he is over at a friend's house, they can watch that Flying Fairy School garbage.  Here, we kick it old school on the street.

9 comments:

Jackie said...

Crayon factory was my favorite! That and the one where they made the I-beam. Oh, and the platypus one... Also, I totally agree with every single one of your gripes. I may be hittin' up the old school SS if we ever decide to let L watch... Thanks for sharing!

Jocelyn Arild said...

I've started watching the new one too and haven't been thrilled either. I like your idea of getting the old ones on dvd!

KEF said...

Oh PLEASE PLEASE tell me that the DVDs have the Yip Yip aliens on them! Even if they don't, Jude MUST watch as much of them as he can so he can act a fool with Aunt Katy next time we reunite. They are the BEST!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTc3PsW5ghQ

Lemur said...

Oh, dude, do I feel you. I didn't recognize Sesame Street the last time I watched it. If it's not Grover counting to 20 with Jon-Jon, it's CRAP! I'm still reeling from the reveal that Mr. Snuffleupagus wasn't imaginary.

erinjohn said...

i couldn't have said it better myself. i've got all kinds of hate for the new zoomy camera angles for "word on the street" bits too!

thank goodness for youtube and the old SS clips! on a good note, here's a hilarious clip of adam sandler and elmo singing a song you'd appreciate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py2f38iPBeI

Anonymous said...

Agree 100%!! What happened to the good old Sesame Street? I miss Grover, Oscar, and Ber abandon Ernie. And my 2 year old daughter refuses to watch Abby's Flying Fairy School. I miss the Sesame Street I used to watch growing up...

Anonymous said...

Bert and Ernie** Gotta love autocorrect

Anonymous said...

SADLY I HAVE AN OPINION ON THIS USELESS CONVO. MY DAUGHTER LOVES ABBEY CADABBY AND SHE IS A PUPPET FIRST AND FOREMOST. I FELT THE SAME WAY YOU DID AT FIRST I STARTED WATCHING WITH MY LITTLE GIRL, ABOUT WANTING THE OLD SHOW BACK AND SO ON. HOWEVER I DO APPRECIATE THAT OUR CHILDREN ARE GROWING UP IN A MORE COMPUTER SAVVY WORLD AND THEREFORE IT MAKES SENSE TO ME THAT THERE IS MORE ANIMATION. i SAY MORE SINCE i DO WATCH THE OLD SHOWS WITH HER TOO, AND THERE HAS ALWAYS BEEN ANIMATION ON SESAME STREET. aND DO I REALLY HAVE TO REMIND YOU OF HOW OLD CLAYMATION IS AND THAT THEY HAVE DONE THAT ON THE SHOW ALL ALONG? BY THE WAY WE ALL NEED BETTER HOBBIES.

Anonymous said...

Please don't be so hard on the new Sesame Streets, and please especially don't be too hard on Abby's Flying Fairy School! That was the best part of seasons 40-45. It teaches children how to think for themselves. I miss it already. It looks like it was made in Canada, which is a good thing, since citizens are better taken care of there than here.