Thursday, August 5, 2010

Isn't it okay if I just want to sit at home and stare at my baby?

Sure, we used to be those people.  You know the type.  When you ask them what they are doing on the weekend, they say "Well, tonight we are going out with some friends to dinner, tomorrow we are going to the mall and then running some other errands, and then we are going to a cookout with friends, and then Sunday we are going to meet some friends for breakfast and take the dog to the dog park and see a movie."  I mean, you get exhausted even listening to them talk about their plans.  We would go the whole weekend without spending more than 3 hours awake at home -- the rest of the time, we were going places.

Now, people ask me what I am doing this weekend, and I just look at them.  Shocked.  Astounded, really.  What do you mean what am I doing?  My head starts spinning.  Should I make up some really exciting plans that sound very elaborate and urban to prove that even though we have a baby, we are still FUN?  Should I brush it off, ask what they are doing, and live vicariously through their exciting plans?

But this is only my first reaction.  What comes out of my mouth is something much different.  Much more, well, early thirties suburban.  Instead, I say "Well, I made some squash puree for Jude so I am excited to see him eat that for the first time.  And then, we'll just sit around and hang out with Jude.  He's pretty fun right now, and he's really a cute guy.  So, basically, we're going to spend the weekend staring at our baby."  And I don't think that there is anything wrong with that.  Who needs plans when you've got this?

0 comments: