Saturday, May 21, 2011

Representative Anderson, Your Vote is a Vote Against My Family.

So the bill passed, 70-62.  Next year, Minnesotans will decide whether or not I will double for sure for sure not be able to marry Liz.  I'm not going down without a fight.

Sarah Anderson, the representative from my district, is my first fight.  Sarah Anderson sent us a note right after Jude was born letting us know that she was so excited to hear about the birth of our son and to "let her know if there was anything we needed."  So, Liz took Sarah Anderson up on her offer and asked that she vote no on the amendment.  So there we were, watching the lights by the representatives' names light up green or red.  Looked like green was winning.  Sarah still hadn't voted.  And then she did.  Her light turned green and I took it personally.

Here's the letter I sent to Sarah Anderson.  If you are also disappointed in her vote, send her an email here.


As a constituent of your district and a member of the GLBT community, I take your vote on the same-sex marriage amendment very personally.  

Your vote for the amendment is a vote against my 14 year relationship with my partner.  How dare you say that my relationship, a committed monogamous relationship with my high school sweetheart, is not as valid as yours?  

Your vote for the amendment is a vote against my 15 month old son, Jude.  How dare you force him to live in a state where his parents are looked upon as second class citizens?

Your vote for the amendment is a vote against my parents.  How dare you imply that their daughter doesn't qualify for the same rights that your parents' daughter qualifies for?

But most importantly, this is a vote against a community.  It is a vote against a community full of parents who intentionally created families because they had so much love to give.  How dare you insult them by allowing others the option to take away our rights?

But your vote is your vote, Representative Anderson.  I did notice that you were one of the last to vote.  I hope that is because you thought of my partner and my family before you cast a ballot.  I hope that is because you remembered that when my son was born, you wrote a letter to my partner letting her know that you were available if we needed help with anything.  Well, Sarah.  My partner sent you a note earlier this week letting you know that we needed help.  And you failed my family.

***********
And just to make sure you're getting the full story, here's my exchange (Liz) with Representative Anderson:


GmailLiz Heyer


Please Vote NO on the Constitutional Ammendment
4 messages

Liz Heyer Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM

To: rep.sarah.anderson@house.mn

Dear Representative Anderson,
I know we are down to the wire here, but I wanted to send you an urgent plea to PLEASE vote NO against the constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.
My partner, 15-month-old son, and I live at xxxxx xxth Ave. N in Plymouth. My partner and I have been together for 14 years and feel so incredibly blessed to have our son in our lives. We moved to Minnesota 6 years ago from California and love this state and the Plymouth community. You and I probably shop at the same Target and eat at the same restaurants. My son attends a Plymouth daycare center every day while I work for a non-profit agency in Golden Valley and my partner works for a financial services company in Minneapolis. We strive everyday to provide a supportive, nurturing home for our son. We attend a Early Childhood Family Education class in Minneapolis that is specifically for gay and lesbian families. We are supported by countless friends and family members. Shouldn't we be allowed to have the same rights as heterosexual couples?
Shortly after my son was born, I recieved a card from you congratulating me on my son's birth and asking if there was anything you could do to support me and my family. Guess what? This is your opportunity to do just that. Please vote no on this discriminatory measure this afternoon.
Thank you so much,

Liz Heyer

Sarah Anderson Thu, May 19, 2011 at 8:33 PM

To: Liz Heyer

Dear Liz,
Thank you for your letter on the proposal to allow Minnesotans to vote on defining marriage.  I appreciate hearing from you on this matter.  Please know my focus has been on solving the state's budget deficit.
Sincerely,

Sarah Anderson
State Representative
Plymouth & Medicine Lake
549 State Office Building
100 MLK Blvd.
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-296-5511


If you would like to receive my weekly E-mail newsletter, please visit http://www.house.mn/43A and click on "Join my e-mail updates list for announcements."


Liz Heyer Thu, May 19, 2011 at 9:01 PM

To: Sarah Anderson
Dear Sarah, 

Thank you for responding to me on this issue. I understand that you will not be voting on this measure tonight, which hopefully gives me an opportunity to convince you to vote no on this amendment. I am glad that you are focusing your efforts on the state's budget deficit and the other very serious issues we are all facing right now. I hope that means that you realize that a "yes" vote on this issue would turn everyone's attention away from these important matters (and fill our airwaves with lots of hateful rhetoric that our kids don't need to hear). I know you have lots of other things to think about and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me on this. 

Liz 

Liz Heyer Sat, May 21, 2011 at 11:41 PM

To: Sarah Anderson
Dear Representative Anderson

I am so disappointed in your decision to vote yes on the marriage amendment bill. As one of your constituents, I now know that you do not support my family and quite frankly, that breaks my heart. We will all now be subjected to months of hateful messages that will be heard by our children, their friends, and the thousands of gay or questioning youth in the state of Minnesota. While I have faith that Minnesotans will do the right thing and defeat this measure, it really makes me ill to know that you, the person who represents me and my family in the state of Minnesota, did not do the right thing when the opportunity was presented to you. 

I really believed you and thought that you would be focused on the jobs and the budget - just like you said. This will now take everyone's attention away from those very important matters and for that, I am exceedingly dismayed. 

Liz Heyer





2 comments:

Minnesotagal said...

Aww Lidsay - this made me cry! Love you all!

Jessica said...

I've never commented on your blog before, but your letter to your representative was so moving I wanted to thank you for putting your words out in the internet and to your rep. As someone who has looked forward to moving back to Minneapolis and (hopefully) raising a family and marrying my partner this fight is such a personal affront. Thank you, again.