Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I'm getting my very own baby tomorrow.

Tomorrow is a really big day for me and Jude.  The whole family is heading down to the Hennepin County Courthouse to make Jude's adoption official.  This is a completely amazing day for us.  Although Jude has felt like my baby since the day that he was born, this makes it legal.  I'll be his legal mom.  I can make decisions for him and no one can argue with them.  I could visit him in the hospital and no one can stop me.  My name will be on his birth certificate.

So you can imagine the despair as I was driving to work today, my heart filling with pride about the wonderful experience that was slowly approaching, when I heard that Wisconsin upheld the ban on gay marriages and civil unions.  By a 7-0 vote.  Justice Michael Gableman says the sentence carries out "the same general purpose of preserving the legal status of marriage in Wisconsin as between only one man and one woman."  All I could think was that all 7 of those judges don't believe in the validity of my family.   


But it's okay, because when I wake my son up in the morning, the smile that he gives me tells me every morning that my family is completely valid.  And the perfect family for him.

0 comments: